The purpose of this document is to ensure procedural fairness for individuals in the Kinesiology Co-op Program (hereafter referred to as the ‘Co-op Program’) by stipulating the policies and regulations governing the Co-op Program. The following Terms & Conditions of enrolment in the Co-op Program are in addition to those policies and regulations listed in the Co-op Student Handbook and in the UBC Calendar.
The Co-op Program reserves the right to update, modify, or revise these terms & conditions without notice. To participate in the Co-op Program, students must agree to the terms and conditions during every term of participation in the program.
- I understand that I will be registered in the appropriate Co-op courses by the Program (EG: HKIN 101) upon securing a job.
- I understand that I am required to pay my Co-op course fee for every Co-op work term (consecutive or not) by the due dates specified in the UBC Calendar whether I secured a Co-op work term through the Co-op Program or through my own efforts.
- I hereby give permission for my academic records to be released to the Co-op Program.
- I hereby give permission for the Co-op Program to release my résumé, cover letter, transcripts, and other relevant information to prospective employers in order to secure employment for work terms while I am enrolled in the Co-op Program.
- I agree to keep the Co-op job posting information, employer lists, contacts, passwords to SYMPLICITY, etc., confidential, and not share it with anyone outside the Co-op program.
- I will pay the Co-op workshop/pre-employment fee by the deadline set by the Co-op Program and understand this fee is non-refundable.
- I will attend all of the Co-op workshops on pre-employment training as I understand that it is a prerequisite; and that, if I do not participate in the pre-employment training, I may be withdrawn from the Co-op Program.
- I understand that I must maintain a satisfactory academic standing (70%) to remain in the Co-op Program.
- I will check my email daily and respond promptly to all messages relating to Co-op from the Co-op Coordinator and the Co-op Office.
- I will promptly notify the Co-op Coordinator of any changes regarding my work eligibility, work status or current contact information.
- I will inform the Co-op Coordinator immediately of any inappropriate, and/or unsafe, and/or unethical behaviour or treatment during the interview process and/or at the work site.
- I understand that the Co-op Program does not and cannot guarantee Co-op work terms. The Co-op Program will make every effort to assist me in obtaining suitable Co-op work term employment; however, it is ultimately my responsibility to secure Co-op work term employment.
- I am expected to apply for a minimum of 20% of posted positions, using Kinesiology Co-op Online (SYMPLICITY); and in addition, I understand that I am expected to simultaneously conduct my own job search.
- I understand that while pursuing my own Co-op job search, I will discuss this with the Co-op Coordinator and keep him/her updated on my progress.
- I agree to allow the Co-op Program to solicit positions on my behalf.
- I agree not to solicit positions from a Co-op employer directly on my own behalf, without prior permission from the Co-op Coordinator.
- I will provide the Co-op Program and prospective employers with accurate and appropriate information regarding my qualifications and interests.
- I agree to attend all interviews with employers that have selected me as a candidate and to act professionally
- I understand that the Co-op office or the Co-op Coordinator may, if necessary, select interview times on my behalf. I will notify the Co-op Coordinator immediately of any interviews that must be rescheduled; rescheduling interview times is at the discretion of the employer.
- I will consult the Co-op Coordinator before accepting a job offer external to SYMPLICITY. I understand that the Co-op Coordinator will contact the employer of an external agency to ensure the position is suitable as a Co-op work term and to inform the employer of the Co-op guidelines.
- I understand that participation in the Co-op Program may require me to accept positions outside of the proximity to my campus, and, although many companies subsidize relocation expenses, I may be required to pay the necessary travel expenses. If I have any restrictions concerning location and travel, I will discuss them with the Co-op Coordinator. I am aware that geographic location is not a valid excuse for turning down a job offer and that I may be withdrawn from the program as a result.
- I will rank all interviews in order of preference and this ranking will indicate that I am prepared to accept the position for which I have interviewed.
- I give consent to have the Co-op Coordinator accept or reject job offers on my behalf based on my rankings.
- I understand that I may not have the oppportunity to complete all desired/scheduled interviews before an employer, for which I have already interviewed, requires the acceptance/rejection of a job offer.
- I understand that I can request to reject one job offer during my fourth or fifth job search term. In order to do so, I must arrange a meeting in a timely manner, with the Co-op Coordinator to discuss my rationale to seek approval.
- I understand that Co-op work terms are paid employment and reflect the organization’s salary scale as well as the student’s level of training and experience. I am prepared to accept the salary offered by employers and will only negotiate salary through consultation with the Co-op Coordinator.
- I understand that if I return to a Co-op employer for a subsequent work term/s, I will be registered in the Co-op course and required to pay the Co-op course tuition.
- I understand that once I sign an offer of employment with an employer and/or agree to a verbal offer of employment, I have a professional and ethical obligation to satisfy the requirements of my employment contract. I also understand that, if I break my contract of employment, I will not be satisfying the conditions of the program and I will receive a Fail (F) for the Co-op course.
- I understand that when on a Co-op work term, I am an employee of the employer and not an employee or agent of the university. In all matters relating to work activities, I am under the supervision and direction of the employer and not under the supervision and direction of the university.
- I will respect the policies and procedures of my employer, including policies regarding confidential/proprietary information during and after a work term.
- I will behave appropriately and according to UBC Policies as outlined in the UBC Calendar for the duration of my participation in the Co-op Program.
- I will follow the procedures as outlined in the UBC School of Kinesiology Co-op Work Term Checklist and Student Handbook each term that I am in the Co-op Program.
- If I am interested in enrolling in more than one academic course during any work term, I will seek approval from the Co-op Coordinator and work supervisor prior to commencing the course. Written approval by my work supervisor may be required.
- I understand that I am required to submit a Work Term Report for every Co-op work term (consecutive or not). I am aware that each report is due no later than 4:00 p.m. of the eighth week of my Co-op work term or the first Friday of the next term as outlined in the Student Handbook. A late report will result in a Fail (F) grade for the work term and withdrawal from the Co-op Program.
- I understand that I need a satisfactory or better evaluation from my employer and a satisfactory or better grade on my work term report in order to receive a Pass (P) for the Co-op work term.
- I understand that if I am unable to complete a Co-op work term for medical or compassionate reasons, I may be eligible to receive a Pass (P) on the work term if all of the following have occurred:
- I notify the Co-op Coordinator, who will confirm with the employer that he or she is aware that I am unable to complete the work term;
- I provide the Co-op Coordinator with a letter from my doctor or a medical certificate indicating I cannot complete the term;
- The Co-op Coordinator determines that my performance and learning process on the Co-op work term to date to have been satisfactory; and
- The employer completes a satisfactory evaluation.
- I am aware that I can complete up to five (5) scheduled work terms in the Co-op Program.
- I understand that to graduate with Co-op Standing (Co-op listed on parchment/degree) I am required to complete a minimum of three co-op terms. Not all work terms can be completed in the summer.
- I am aware of the Co-op work term schedule and I agree to follow the schedule as outlined.
- I understand that any changes to the set Co-op schedule must be discussed with the Co-op Coordinator, and a formal request must then be made in writing for approval. I am aware that my request may not be granted if it does not adhere to the Co-op Program’s terms and conditions.
- I understand that I must complete my degree on an academic term; therefore, I must be enrolled in at least one (1) full academic semester upon completion of my final co-op work term and prior to my graduation.
- I understand that co-operative education course credits cannot be used in lieu of, or to complement, academic course credits required for graduation by the School.
- I understand that any requests to deviate from the Co-op work term schedule must be approved in writing by the Co-op Coordinator. I am aware that my request may not be granted if it does not adhere to the Co-op Program’s terms and conditions. I will inform the Co-op Coordinator of my situation and acquire approval by the following dates:
- For Winter work term (Jan. - Apr.) - by August 31st
- For Summer work term (May - Aug.) - by December 31st
- For Fall work term (Sept. - Dec.) - by April 30th
- I understand that if I wish to withdraw from the Co-op Program , I must submit my desire to withdraw in writing to the Co-op Coordinator and the withdrawal myst be approved.
- I understand that if I do not complete formal withdrawal procedures I will be liable for all assessed fees and receive a Fail (F) for the co-op course.
- I understand that obtaining a job through my own job search, and then withdrawing from the Co-op Program is not permitted. Enrolment in the co-op course will be maintained and I will be liable for all assessed fees. All requirements of the work term must be satisfactorily completed in order to receive a passing grade.
- I understand that I may be assessed a Fail (F) for my Co-op work term for the following reasons:
- Failure to report for work at the employer’s location
- Ending a work term without permission from the Co-op Coordinator and employer
- Dismissal based on my actions
- Unsatisfactory performance as determined by the employer
- Failure to submit required documents to the Co-op Office.
- I understand that acceptance of an eight-month job offer (two consecutive Co-op work terms) requires me to complete all requirements for both work terms. If I terminate the work agreement early without the consent of my Co-op Coordinator, I may be assessed a failing grade for BOTH work terms.
- I understand that failure to comply with any of these terms and conditions will result in a Fail (F) on a work term and/or dismissal from the Co-op Program. The Co-op Program reserves the right to dismiss students for improper behaviour at the discretion of the Co-op Coordinator.
The terms and conditions are approved by the School of Kinesiology Associate Director – Undergraduate Affairs, Kinesiology Students, and the Kinesiology Co-op Coordinator
Dr. Paul Kennedy
Associate Director, Student and Community Engagement
School of Kinesiology
University of British Columbia
School of Kinesiology
University of British Columbia