The Kinesiology Mentorship Program assists senior undergraduate students in becoming career ready graduates by connecting with alumni to share experiences, develop professional skills and expand their network. The program incorporates face-to-face mentoring with online contact, networking events, and connections to career development resources.
Applications for the 2018 cohort will open September 4, 2018.
Enhance career learning and professional skills by pairing senior students with alumni to exchange ideas, share experiences, explore and define career paths, and expand their professional networks.
- Support senior students in exploring new career pathways prior to graduation
- Connect students with peers and industry professionals
- Engage alumni in current programming within the School of Kinesiology
- Provide senior Kinesiology students with the opportunity to develop interpersonal, professional, leadership, communication and career building skills through one on one interactions with a professional working in their field of interest.
I went into this program with one goal in mind: to get as much info/knowledge from my mentor about careers in the field of Kinesiology. I ended up coming out of this experience with that knowledge, [and] found a friend in my mentor. For that I am thankful for the opportunity.Mentee, 2016 Cohort
One of my memorable experiences was chatting about career directions and what their [mentor’s] individual job entailed and what entering the workforce looked like as a recent graduate. Mentee, 2016 Cohort
As a result of participating in this program, I feel more connected, and developed a new and lasting relationship with a wonderful individual and connection to UBC.Mentor, 2016 Cohort
I decided to become a mentor because I wanted to give back to a program that gave so much to me. Mentor, 2016 Cohort
Benefits for Mentees
As a student mentee, you will …
- Make connections with alumni mentors and peers in the Kinesiology field
- Learn about real life work experiences
- Enhance your interview skills
- Improve your resume and cover letter
- Build and strengthen leadership and communication skills through participating in professional networking opportunities
- Earn a certificate of participation to add to your professional portfolio by completing all program elements
Benefits for Mentors
As a Mentor, you will …
- Share your stories and experiences with mentees
- Build contacts within your industry and expand your professional network through the UBC mentorship community
- Develop and maintain connections with the School of Kinesiology and UBC
- Contribute to the future of industry and community by supporting the next generation of leaders
- Refine your leadership and mentoring skills
I am a/an…