Advising FAQs

If you don’t find the answer to your questions below, please contact the KIN Undergraduate Advising Office by phone at 604.822.4512 or (please include your full name, contact information, and UBC student number).

Jump to questions about…

KIN Undergraduate Advising

The Kinesiology Undergraduate Advising Office is located in Room 202, on the main floor of the War Memorial Gymnasium.

Our office hours are: Monday - Friday (closed on weekends)
9:00am - 12:00pm,
1:00pm - 3:30pm
(closed from 12:00pm-1:00pm for lunch)

Appointments are recommended and can be made in-person, by phone, by e-mail, or online:

Phone: 604.822.4512
Email: (please include your UBC student number, if applicable)
Online: please see the Advising Request Form

Applying / Transferring

When applying to Kinesiology, a student’s personal profile is considered alongside their academic average. Both portions of the application are considered when evaluated by UBC Admissions. For this reason, it is impossible to determine a specific ‘cut-off’ average, and therefore KIN does not have a stated minimum GPA.

Helpful links: Personal Profile | Admission Requirements | Post-Secondary Transfers
Have more questions about the application or admissions process specifically? Reach out to UBC Admissions.

UBC Admissions is responsible for assessing IB/AP credits, but students can find a guide on the UBC Website. Transfer credits come in mid-summer. We recommend that you register in those courses as if you haven’t received credit, as it is easier to drop a course should you not need it any more than trying to register for a course late. Should you choose to take the equivalent courses at UBC, your IB/AP credit will be overridden.

For more info please see: AP | IB

Transfer credit is done through UBC Admissions. In order to transfer as an equivalent course, the course content must overlap by 80%. In anticipation of transferring, students can use the BC Transfer Guide website to give them an idea as to what credits they might receive at UBC.

Current students can view their transfer credits on their SSC, under 'Grades & Records' > 'Transfer Credits'.

Students must meet the same requirements shown on the UBC Admissions website, and will similarly be evaluated on their personal profile and academic average. Note that how your academic average will be calculated is outlined on the UBC Admissions' University or college student requirements page.

Students who are already at UBC in a different program should refer to the Change of Degree Program page on the UBC Calendar when looking to apply to transfer.

As a second degree student, we recognize that you have already completed a full degree in another area. As such, when completing a BKIN, these credits will apply towards the 60 elective credits normally required by students completing their first degree. This means that in most cases, a second degree student will at a minimum need to complete 60 credits of KIN courses, including first- and second-year core required courses and 30 credits of upper-level KIN.

Questions regarding the application or admissions process can be directed to UBC Admissions.

Program Streams

On your official Bachelor's degree parchment, there is no stream specialization noted. It will state "Bachelor of Kinesiology - University of British Columbia". Stream specialization and, if applicable, your Minor, will show on your official transcript.

Application to any grad program can be achieved through any stream, as long as you meet necessary prerequisites.

A stream is selected at the time of registration for second-year courses, and will be done through a student’s SSC account.
Once in the ‘Course Schedule’ area of the SSC, find ‘Browse’ in the top left-hand corner. Choose ‘Specialization’ from the drop down menu. Find ‘BKIN’ in the options, choose a desired stream, and then click ‘Add Spec.’ This cannot be done until a student’s individual registration time opens.

Students looking to switch streams after this point should get in touch with the KIN Advising Office.

Course Planning

No. Degree Navigator is not compatible with the KIN degree. Please contact the KIN Undergraduate Advising Office and request a Program/Grad Check to ensure that you are on the right track or ready to graduate. You can also easily submit a request online by filling out a Program Check Form.

Program Check: A program check can be requested by a current student who is looking to have an update on which credits they have completed, and what types of credits need to be completed in order to meet their degree requirements. Students get in touch with the KIN Undergraduate Advising Office to provide their contact information, and will be emailed a scanned PDF copy of their updated program planning sheet for reference. It is recommended that this be done at least once a year.
Graduation Check: A graduation check can be requested by students looking to graduate in the current academic year. It is a program check done specifically to ensure that a student meets all requirements for graduation. A graduation check should only be requested once a timetable for the final year has been chosen.
Both a program and graduation check can be requested online or in person at the Undergraduate Advising Office.

The Credit Exclusion List can be found on the Academic Calendar, and lists courses in which there is sufficient overlap that credit may be obtained for only one selection. Students will not be granted credit for taking a course that is listed on the Credit Exclusion List along with a course that they have already taken. For example, students who have credit for KIN 190/KIN 191 will not be granted credit for BIOL 153 or BIOL 155.

All students must have ENGL 112 or the acceptable equivalent completed by the end of their second year. Further promotion will not be granted without successful completion of this requirement.

The Kinesiology and Health Science stream requires that students take at least 12 credits of upper-level Science. These credits can be filled with any 300-400 level course offered for credit by the Faculty of Science. These courses are mainly offered by the departments of Physics, Math, Biology or Chemistry, but there are some exceptions.
Science Psychology: Any course offered by the department of Psychology that ends in the numbers 60 or higher qualifies as a Science course.
Students can browse courses offered by Earth and Ocean Sciences, Astronomy, CAPS, etc. to find courses that are offered for credit within the Faculty of Science.
If you are still unsure whether or not a course would qualify after closely looking at the course description and the information above, please contact the KIN Undergraduate Advising Office.

In order to complete a KIN degree, all students must complete 18 credits of electives, of which 12 must be at the 300/400 level. When choosing your electives, be aware that elective requirements vary by stream (IDKN | KINH | LEED (formerly PEDH)). Beyond this, electives should be chosen based on your interests and/or career goals. Additionally, if you are looking to apply to graduate/professional school, be aware of their prerequisite courses.

KIN students have the opportunity to acquire a minor from four different areas: Arts, Science, Commerce, or Nutritional Science. Applications for all minors are available from the advising office located in Room 202 of War Memorial Gymnasium, or see the "Forms" section on our website. Specific requirements are outlined on the application form.
Commerce and Nutritional Science minor applications are due mid-May, and are ideally completed by students entering into their third year of KIN. *Contact advising if you are a student considering applying for these minors at a different point in time.
Science and Arts minor applications can be handed in at any point after entering third year, and before application for graduation.

All students pursuing their BKIN must obtain at least 120 credits, 60 of which must be completed at UBC. How these credits are divided varies depending on which stream a student has chosen. The requirements for each stream are detailed here: IDKN | KINH | LEED (formerly PEDH)
All additional degree requirements can be found under the "Courses" tab in the Degree Requirements section.

A Bachelor’s Degree in Kinesiology at UBC can be completed in 4 years if a student takes 5 courses per term, over 4 consecutive winter sessions. If a student chooses to take more courses per term, or additional courses in the summer, they may be able to complete their degree in less time. If a student chooses to take fewer courses per year, they will extend their degree.

Once accepted into the program, Kinesiology students can proceed at their own pace. That being said, there are certain considerations students should be aware of when deciding their course load:
Duration of degree: Kinesiology is a four year degree, but could be extended if you take less than 5 courses per term. You must complete at least 120 appropriate credits to apply for graduation.
Year Promotion: Students must complete all their core Kin courses before they are eligible for promotion to the next year of academic standing. This will affect registration date, and the courses you will be eligible to take.
Housing: A student must be registered in a minimum of 18 credits for the academic year to be eligible for housing, 9 credits per term.
Scholarships: To be eligible for scholarships offered by the School of Kinesiology, students have to have been enrolled in a minimum of 27 credits during the previous year of academic study.
Student loans: If on student loans, students should inquire with their Enrolment Services Advisor (ESA) as to how many credits they need to be enrolled in to be eligible for funding.
Study Visa: Contact the International House for any questions regarding your Study Visa and its specific requirements.

A student planning to take time off should consult the KIN Undergraduate Advising Office to determine the best plan of action for their specific case. In general, a student may take one year off without any problem. If leaving for longer than one year, the student will have to contact advising to re-establish their eligibility as a UBC student, and receive a registration date and time. Returning students are typically not required to complete the admission process again.

International students looking to take time off from school should consult with the KIN Undergraduate Advising Office, as well as an International Student Advisor, to clarify how this may affect their current status and/or future permit applications.

Students can take a maximum of 9 credits of KIN 489 courses and 6 credits of KIN 454 courses. Students may also only take one student-directed KIN seminar course.

Course Registration

When registration for a KIN course is full, or if students do not meet the restrictions for a course, students can look to register on a waitlist if available on their SSC. Note that the 'Waiting List' option is listed directly below its corresponding lecture in the SSC. If a waitlist is full, students can contact the KIN Advising Office to see if registration is still possible.

NOTE: It is important to note that being on a waitlist does not guarantee a seat in the course. Waitlists are assessed after all registration has occurred and closer to the start of term, and any available seats are given based on priority standing. Priority is given first to KIN students, then to students completing a minor in KIN, followed by non-KIN students. Students on the waitlist are responsible for checking their ‘Registered Courses’ on their SSC to see if they have been moved in to the course, and should not expect to be contacted about changes to their registration status. Students are also responsible for de-registering from any waiting lists/courses if they change their mind.

Professors cannot add students into a course - all changes must go through the Advising Office. If a Waiting List is full, students can contact Advising to see if they are able to be ‘forced’ onto a waitlist.

Lab section changes for KIN courses are to be discussed with the appropriate instructor. Switches must be approved by the instructor and not by the Advising Office.

If you wish to have the approved switch show officially on your timetable due to a conflict with registering for another course, please submit a completed Change of Registration form (Add/Drop Form) that is signed by the instructor to the KIN Advising Office.

Students cannot be enrolled at two post-secondary institutions at the same time. Therefore, students have the option of taking courses from other institutions during the summer session when they are not registered in courses at UBC. Note that degree required courses cannot be taken at another institution. If planning on taking courses at another institution and transfer the credit to UBC, a student must fill out the ‘Request for Letter of Permission’ form and hand it in at the Kinesiology Undergraduate Advising Office. This form is available from the office, or can be found online here: Request for Letter of Permission

Students looking to register for distance education courses are required to contact the KIN Advising Office and request to have distance ed. credits opened. You can give us a call at 604.822.4512 or send us an e-mail at - please be sure to include your full name and student number. A student must be in good academic standing when requesting distance ed. credits. We generally do not open distance ed. credits for new to program students in their first academic year in KIN.

Credits that are specifically required for the student’s program, including all core KIN courses and 48 credits at the 300/400 level, must be taken with a percentage grade and cannot be taken with a Credit/D/Fail (Cr/D/F) standing. Students should make sure to check with the KIN Advising Office if unsure about whether or not a course can be taken as Cr/D/F towards their program, and thoroughly read through the policies on the UBC Academic Calendar. A course selected as Cr/D/F standing cannot be changed to percentage grading after the deadline provided on the course description page.

KIN 499 directed studies provides the opportunity for students to perform research pertaining to a chosen area of kinesiology.Please refer to the KIN 499 Policies and Procedures and the KIN 499 Contract for more information. Note that students can only receive 3 credits for KIN 499.

Please refer to the Tuition Refunds page on the Student Services page. If you have further questions, please contact Enrolment Services.

Please refer to the Academic Calendar for more information on 'W' standing policies.

Applying to Graduate / Grad Ceremonies

Students can apply for either May or November graduation. Further information on application deadlines and how to apply can be found on the Student Services > Apply to graduate page.

Students should receive an e-mail reminding them to take their grad photos in the final Winter session before their graduation ceremony. Updated information is released yearly. Bookings are done through the photography company, not the KIN Advising Office.

Co-op / Mentorship Program / Go Global / Work Learn

Co-op is a great way to gain invaluable work experience in the field of kinesiology and health sectors. Co-op gives students the opportunity to develop skills and experience responsibilities similar to the real workforce. For more information about Co-op and how to apply for it, please visit Prospective Co-op Students page.

Co-op intersperses a minimum of three and a maximum of 5 work terms into a normal academic course load. This normally extends your degree by at least 1 year. For more information about our Co-op program, visit: Prospective Co-op Students page.

The KIN Mentorship Program pairs current students with alumni mentors to ease to the transition from university into real world professional settings. Mentors help students develop their networking skills and career exploration. For more information please see the Mentorship Program page.

If considering exchange, be sure to book an appointment with Deborah Gromer at our KIN Undergraduate Advising Office. Deborah is the Associate Academic Advisor, and point of contact for Go Global within Kinesiology. Deborah can be contacted by email at, or you can request for an appointment by contacting the Advising Office at 604.822.4512 or filling out an Advising Request Form. Information detailing the various exchange opportunities can be found on the UBC Study Abroad website.

Work Learn positions are job placements for current UBC students. These positions offer students valuable work experience that is limited to 10 hours per week, at a competitive wage. They are normally posted on the Careers Online website a few weeks prior to the start of the academic term. Information on the Work Learn Program can be found on their website.

Unlike Co-op placements, Work Learn positions are completed during the academic term, alongside a student’s course load. These positions are not for credit.

Scholarships, Awards, & Prizes

There are a number of scholarships, awards, and prizes offered by the School of Kinesiology. These are awarded to students demonstrating outstanding academic achievement, great leadership and extracurricular involvement. Applications for most scholarships are due at the end of May, with the Awards Ceremony held in November. For a complete list, please visit the 'Scholarships' tab on this page.
Information about UBC wide scholarships, awards, bursaries, and loans, please visit: UBC Scholarships & Awards

Getting Involved / Resources

The UBC Vancouver campus has a whole network of resources available to new and continuing students. Here are some good links for students to check out if they are looking to explore beyond the classroom:

The Alma Mater Society offers free tutoring for first and second year courses including math, chemistry, and physics. Tutoring takes place on the 3rd floor of Irving K Barber Learning Centre, however, tutoring in Totem, Vanier, and Gage are also available. The AMS also offers appointment tutoring, where students can receive one-on-one help at a paid rate. For more information please visit AMS Tutoring.

Job and volunteer opportunities are often posted on the board outside of the KIN Advising Office in War Memorial Gym. You can also find opportunities posted on the KIN website on the Student KINvolvement > 'Job & Volunteer Opportunities' page.

Graduate Programs / Career Paths

Kinesiology Advising does not advise for these graduate programs. Students should look on the following websites to find the most updated information regarding pre-requisites.

Past KIN students have gone on to pursue a number of career paths. For a list of what some of these careers are, please refer to the "Career Paths" tab.