UBC Bodyworks Personal Training Position
Volunteer or Employment?
Employer email address
Number of positions available
Job/volunteer posting URL
Through the UBC BodyWorks Fitness Centre, the School of Kinesiology strives to develop valuable learning opportunities. We are able to provide an enriched environment to both the drivers of our program, the students and those who receive our services, our valued clients.
Individuals that the Personal Trainer will work with are those who are healthy and fit and also those who have been cleared by a Physician to exercise such as those who are at low-moderate risk of chronic diseases such as osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, hypertension and diabetes. Bodyworks has also been given the opportunity to work with the adolescent and the special population of children with autism. The potential to have staff work alongside the UBC psychosis program is in midst of development.
The Personal Trainer position will obtain first-hand experience in the planning and implementation of high quality health and fitness programming and to healthy populations and those medically cleared to exercise and be responsible for overseeing the operations of a fully operating and functioning fitness facility, which includes a total membership of ~450 people, many of which are UBC employees and members of the community. The Personal Trainer will provide their first two exercise templates to the manager prior to teaching the higher risk clientele, ensuring their competency with the exercises and modifications required for safety of the participants. The communication between the manager, Exercise and Health Instructor is essential for success.
The primary responsibilities of the Personal Trainer are to:
• Design and monitor individualized exercise programs for healthy clients and those medically cleared (low to moderate risk) to exercise in order to ensure the safe and effective delivery of fitness techniques and exercise intensities.
• Perform health screenings for healthy clients and those medically cleared to exercise. The trainer will complete physical health assessments with the client, and goal setting sessions, create an appropriate exercise prescription with correct periodization while considering health history, current fitness levels and goals.
• Liaise with referring health care practitioners and provide referrals when necessary while conducting oneself professionally and documenting all points of communication (tailored exercise).
• Assist in program development by supporting marketing efforts, planning events, providing fitness centre orientations to clients.
• Provide answers to general inquiries as a Supervisor of the facility.
• Oversee the general operations of the fitness facility such as enforcing policies, following procedures, validating membership passes, providing customer service, assisting with evaluation and maintenance and providing safety officer support.
• Provide unsolicited support in agreement with patrons to review prescribed exercise programs and exercise technique to aid in goal attainment and injury prevention.
• Mentor volunteer role in Specialized Packages. Progress the volunteer in a timely manner, ensuring educating the individual on proper periodization programming and cueing techniques to increase the visual learning of participant in their individualized exercise program.
This role involves moderate complexity of tasks outlined in the job description. Well-developed organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills are required. The Personal Trainer must be able to work professionally among peers, obtain exercise judgment and make decisions with little guidance. Personal Trainer’s most suitable for the position will have:
•Valid CPR-C/AED and Emergency First Aid Certifications.
• Second language an asset (Chinese, Punjabi, etc)
• Undergoing undergraduate studies in a health and/or fitness-related field is desired.
• Valid Personal Training certification by an NCCA accredited organization (ie: NSCA, ACSM, CSEP, CanFit Pro, ACE)
• Experience using fitness equipment is preferred
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Knowledge of diverse cultural and social issues surrounding health and fitness
• Demonstrated ability to teach certified exercise techniques for a variety of workout classes
• Ability to make acute observations
• Good judgment
• Completion of responsibilities
• Compassion, integrity, and concern for others
• Ability for self-directed learning
How to apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting expiration date09/31/2017