Steer Your Career: Make the most of your Kinesiology degree on Thursday, January 24th at the 2019 Kinesiology Undergraduate Society Career Fair
Steer Your Career.
The Kinesiology Undergraduate Society (KUS) perceives these three words as the embodiment of the academic and professional journey that students undergo.
Similar to driving a car, one must also be mindful of their present occupations, future destinations and past locations while steering their careers. This is a lifelong process as skills are acquired in the past, honed by the present, and applied in the future to an ever-evolving professional world.
Through the Career Fair and its accompanying workshops and panel discussions, we embrace this journey and hope to help students apply the strengths and passions that they have spent years cultivating toward their future endeavours.
The KUS Career Fair is an excellent opportunity to explore further educational and career prospects, featuring a wide variety of professionals from private and non-profit organizations, graduate programs, research and more. This event will be hosted by the Kinesiology Undergraduate Society in partnership with the UBC School of Kinesiology.
Time: 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Location: AMS Nest
Great Hall (Second Floor)
We will be recruiting volunteers in the near future to help with the Career Fair on the event day, so stay tuned! Volunteering at the Career Fair is a great way to get KINvolved, connect with employers and develop valuable employability skills such as teamwork, logistics, leadership, customer service and more.
Volunteer sign-up will open January 10, 2019.
The Career Fair is on Thursday, January 24th, 2019 between 11am and 3pm.
The Kinesiology Undergraduate Society Career Fair is open to all interested University of British Columbia students.
This event provides opportunities to connect what you are learning in the classroom to a variety of professional settings. No matter your year, this is a great time to make KINnections, ask experts industry-specific questions and to find out more about what you can do to get the most out of your journey as a Kinesiology undergraduate.
Attending the Career Fair will help you:
- speak with exhibitors about current and future job, internship, and volunteer opportunities
- discover how class content translates and is applied within the workplace
- learn about industry trends
- discover different areas in the Kinesiology and Health Sciences fields
- hear success stories and tips from industry professionals during the panel speaker series
- connect with other KIN students and industry professionals who share a passion for helping others.
Our exhibitors come from a vast array of fields. At this event, you’ll meet some employers who are wearing suits while others may be dressed "business casual” or in athletic apparel.
If you want to make a strong impression, be sure to look neat, clean, and presentable. Focus on the specific industries and employers that you are interested in approaching. First impressions count, so keep this in mind when you’re planning what to wear on January 24th for the Kinesiology Undergraduate Society Career Fair.
Spend some time researching the participating organizations.
- Prepare yourself for conversations by asking questions like: What are this company’s goals and priorities? What does this company value or care about? The more you know about a company or school the better equipped you are to demonstrate how you will be a good fit with their culture and goals.
- Consider bringing your resume and cover letter with you, and focus these documents on the organizations that you are interested in. Think about how your experiences will make you a good fit for a work or volunteer position and think about what you would like to elaborate on when speaking with your employer.
- Attend the “How Do I Network Effectively?” workshop before the Career Fair. More details regarding this event are coming soon but watch out for it in January!
KUS Professional Development Committee Coordinators