• Physical activity promotion in community and rehabilitation settings, and the relationship between physical activity and mental health in children and adults.
• Weight management and schizophrenia; environmental influences promoting obesity in this population.
• Exercise as an adjunct for smoking cessation.
• The built environment and active transport.
Canadian Institutes of Health Research-Public Health Agency of Canada (CIHR-PHAC) Chair in Applied Public Health (2014-2019)
Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal in recognition of outstanding contributions to making physical activity a priority within the community and across Canada (2013).
Winner of the 2013 Sustainable Urban Transportation Award from the Transportation Association of Canada as a member of the Stepping It Up project, a Metrolinx-led project in partnership with Green Communities Canada, City of Hamilton, Peel Region and University of Toronto.
Young Investigator Award, The Cooper Institute Conference Series, Physical Activity and Mental Health, October 23-25, 2003.
Best student psychology paper, British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences Conference, 2000
European College of Sport Science Young Investigator Award (oral papers), 2000.
Scholarships and Fellowships
* Fully funded studentships/fellowships are available to new graduate students.
For more information, please contact Guy Falkner at email@example.com